Health & Wellness
Why should food processors and bio-ingredients industries develop healthy foods and ingredients?
Demand for healthy foods and ingredients are increasing due to food related health problems! Not just from consumers but also advocacy groups, regulatory bodies, public health authorities and health ministries.
- Globally, there are more than 1 billion overweight adults, at least 300 million of them obese.
- Obesity and overweight pose a major risk for chronic diseases.
- The key causes are increased consumption of energy-dense foods high in saturated fats and sugars, and reduced physical activity.
- A 2009 meta-analysis with 177,025 participants indicated that “high salt intake significantly increases the risk of stroke and total cardiovascular disease.”
Food processors and bio-ingredients industries, are you interested in:
- Increasing competitiveness in local and global markets?
- Increasing your profitability?
- Meeting local and global regulatory requirements?
- Contributing to national and international efforts to reduce clinical disorders associated with consumption of unhealthy foods and ingredients?
- Commercializing a new healthy product(s) or ingredient(s)?
The Food Centre can help.
- Reformulate existing products for lower sodium, sugar and/or fat content
- Develop NEW products targeting consumer health and wellness
- Develop functional food ingredients and natural health products
We’ve all heard the old saying “no salt, no flavour”.That’s not exactly true. Our tastebuds can distinguish four main taste sensations: sweet, sour, salty and bitter. If we’re working to reduce your product’s salt content, that gives us 3 other taste sensations to work with. Aroma, texture, visual appeal and temperature are also important factors affecting how flavour is perceived. The Food Centre can compensate for reduced salt by developing foods that will appeal to other senses and adding different herbs or spices to bring out flavour in different ways.
The Food Centre’s Product Development team has a combined total of 30 years in food development and have developed almost 500 products for the marketplace. We can help you take that first step in developing healthier foods and ingredients.
Key contact: Sara Lui, Manager of Product Developmentslui@foodcentre.sk.ca